Gauteng Canoe Union will be hosting the SA Marathon Champs at ERK Canoe Club in Benoni on the 7th and 8th June 2014. For those out of province paddlers who do not know where Benoni is, it is situated East of OR Tambo Airport (10 minute drive by car). ERK Canoe Club have put in a big effort to try and attract as many paddlers as possible, and below are some of the things you can look forward to:
1. BIRCHWOOD HOTEL HAVE GIVEN DISCOUNTED RATES FOR PADDLERS AND SECONDS FOR THE WEEKEND
2. BIRCHWOOD HAVE A SHUTTLE RUNNING BETWEEN THE HOTEL AND AIRPORT ALL DAY LONG. SO STAY AT THE BIRCHWOOD AND YOU WONT NEED A CAR?
3. JEEP ARE RUNNING A SHUTTLE SERVICE BETWEEN THE BIRCHWOOD HOTEL AND THE COURSE
4. JEEP HAVE OFFERED TO GIVE R10000 TOWARDS TV COVERAGE
5. THERE WILL BE CATERING AT THE COURSE FROM MORNING TILL LATE AFTERNOON INCLUDING A BAR!
6. JUMPING CASTLE ALL DAY, ON BOTH DAYS
7. SHOWER FACILITIES
8. PEOPLE STAYING AT THE BIRCHWOOD WILL BE ABLE TO HAVE DINNER THERE.
9. THERE ARE MANY SHOPPING CENTRES CLOSE TO THE COURSE WITH NUMEROUS RESTURANTS.
10. THERE WILL BE FREE HANDOUTS TO THE FIRST 200 PADDLERS
11. ALL MASTERS WILL COMPETE IN THERE OWN SEPARATE CLASSES
12. ATTACHED IS A MAP OF THE COURSE.
Birchwood Hotel are offering a special rate of R600 per room per night(sleeps 2 people). This will be applicable to Friday night the 6th and Saturday night the 7th of June. You can contact email@example.com or 011 897 0000. You must quote “SA Marathon Champs” to be eligible for this offer.
Generally the weather at that time of year is quite cold in the early mornings, but by 9am it is warm with temperatures reaching about 21 deg. by midday.
Please note that this event is for all paddlers and NOT ONLY ELITE PADDLERS.
Entry forms and race times will be sent out next week, plus the race program with times etc>
FOR MORE INFO YOU CAN CONTACT MIKE STEWART(ERK CHAIRMAN) ON 0828532908
Please support this event as ERK are putting in a big effort in hosting this event. We would like paddlers from all age groups to attend our event. Please don’t just see SA marathons as an Elite paddler’s event. It is open to all paddlers and for the Masters categories, It gives you a chance to race in your own age group, in your own separate race (only 22kms). Yes, it is a trial race for World Champs but it is OPEN to all paddlers.
There will also be give a ways, full catering, jumping castles, plus more and you can race K1 (Saturday) and K2 (Sunday). Two days of good training and a chance to watch our top Seniors/U23 (30kms) and juniors (22kms), competing in there own classes. Marathon Racing is very exiting with multiple laps and portages (100m) on every lap, to add to the excitement. It is great training for rivers as most of our river races have portages in some form.
From This year WE, (THE CSA MARATHON COMMITTEE), want to try and build up marathon racing throughout the country, in our build up to hosting the WORLD MARATHON CHAMPS IN SOUTH AFRICA, which has been approved by the ICF, and held in Pietermaritzburg during SEPTEMBER 2017. Our aim is to have at least 20 Masters in each category (i.e. SUBVETS, VETS, SUBMASTERS ETC ETC…..)
This will be an opportunity for you to test yourself against overseas competitors that are your same age, and then get to watch our Elite paddlers take on the worlds best.
Hope to see you all in Benoni on 7&8 June, from GUPPYs to 70years plus, are all welcome.
Gauteng Marathon Convenor